Cherries are packed full of nutrients to help combat disease and keep the body and mind healthy.
It is National Cherry Day on 16th July so we thought it would be a great time to look into the health benefits of cherries!
There are quite a few varieties of cherries that range from deep red to yellow in colour! The darker the cherry, the more intense the flavour is! Traditionally, sweet cherries are the type that we eat fresh, whereas sour or tart cherries are used for cooking or juicing. The cherry season used to last a few weeks in June and early July but now with farming as it is today, the season extends to September!
So let’s take a look at the health benefits of cherries and why are these little fruits so good for you?
- Cherries help to fight disease and illnesses due to their highly nutritional content
- Great source of fibre which is great to keep your digestive system healthy
- High in vitamins and minerals, particularly potassium which is associated with a reduced risk of heart disease and stroke
- Cherries contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which can help with muscle recovery after exercise, relieve pain and reduce arthritis symptoms. They are also useful in the treatment of gout as eating cherries helps to lower uric acid levels! Antioxidants also help slow down the ageing process.
- May help to protect against diabetes! Cherries rank low on the glycemic index which means that they don’t cause blood sugar and insulin levels to spike!
- Studies show that cherries may enhance your sleep quality as they contain melatonin (a molecule that is critical in regulating your sleep-wake cycle).
- Cherries may help with weight loss as they are low in calories and rich in vitamins that strengthen your metabolism
- Cherries are also believed to be one of the best fruits for energy! A cup of cherries will help to keep you feeling full longer due to the high fibre content. They are also high in B-vitamins which help to convert nutrients into energy.
- 14 cherries counts as one of your 5-a-day!
Make cherries part of your staple diet all year round
The cherry season as we have already established is quite short, so to reap the health benefits of cherries all year round, you can source frozen, dried or powdered cherries which you can add to porridge, fruit salads, yoghurts, smoothies and much more. Tart cherry juice is also a convenient way to get all the benefits of this amazing little super fruit! Cherries are also delicious added to puddings or savoury dishes – duck with cherry sauce is an absolute winner! Or try adding a handful of stoned cherries to a green salad too – great coupled with goats cheese!
Why not enjoy fresh cherries with your colleagues and friends and order a punnet with your fresh fruit box delivery today! More information on how to order here.